Phishing Scam Alert
New Phishing Trend Targeting Online Selling Websites/Marketplace Websites
Fastway are aware of the trend whereby fraudsters target individuals, in areas such as Online Selling Websites. This is done by sending fake emails, SMS, or Instant Messages, pretending to be from Fastway. We are asking individuals to be vigilant and “scam aware”. Please note that Fastway do not facilitate or arrange payments between any buyers and sellers.
With this phishing scam, individuals are targeted when they list an item for sale on a online selling website or marketplace and is then contacted by an ‘interested buyer’. This can then lead to communication between the individual (seller) and the ‘interested buyer’ via email, SMS or Instant Messaging apps. In this instance, the ‘interested buyer’ advises they want to use Fastway to arrange payment, collect and deliver the item. Please note, in some cases, a ‘Delivery Status’ advises ‘Money received’.
Reports confirm that when payment is being arranged, the individual (seller) receives an email, SMS or Instant Message, with a fraudulent link or URL pretending to be from Fastway. This fraudulent link or URL is trying to get the individual (seller) personal details, transfer funds to a fraudulent account, and, or credit/debit card information.
Please be aware Fastway do not facilitate or arrange payments between buyers and sellers – this is not a service we provide.
What can you do, if you have been targeted?
- Contact the Online Selling Site/Marketplace Site to report the ‘Interested Buyer’. In general, these sites will have information and guidance for individuals/seller’s when arranging payments and using their services safely.
- It is recommended not to open or respond to unsolicited messages and never click the links within these messages.
- If you clicked on a suspicious link or opened a suspicious document, contact your Bank. If you suspect fraudulent activity on your Bank Account, contact your Bank, and An Garda Síochána.
How can you be more “scam aware”?
- Check for misspelling or unusual links.
- Be vigilant when the request is urgent or asking for immediate action.
Example of how the Phishing Scam message may look.